Monday, November 12, 2007

More of my story


When I came to, I was lying face-up on his bed. I knew it from the smell of the place. I did not dare open my eyes. They couldn’t know I was conscious. At least not yet.
I heard him enter the room and close the door. He came to the bedside and knelt down, so close that I could feel his breath on my cheek. “Come on, Annabelle,” he whispered. “Get up. I have to talk to you.” I could just feel the grin on his face. I didn’t move.
“Okay, then. I’ll talk. You just lie there and listen.” He chuckled. “So, Annabelle. You do realize that we did this for your own good, right? Once you start the process, you can’t stop. It’s impossible. Now. You need to rid of the garlic in your pocket, my dear. Come on, Annabelle. I know you can hear me.” I winced. How did he know? I opened my eyes slowly and glared at him. He laughed. I almost smiled. I didn’t.
“That’s it. Now. Take out the garlic and throw it out the window, so I can finish my job.” I sat up. What are you doing, stupid? Resist him! I watched him closely as I pulled the garlic out of the front pocket in my jeans.
“What happens then? You kill me? Why on Earth would I get rid of my only chance of survival?” I snapped. He laughed. I wished he would stop doing that.
“Kill you? Why would I kill you, Annabelle? I would never! Who do you think I am? This is me you’re talking to! You know I wouldn’t even hurt a fly! I just want to help. If I don’t continue the process, you will have but a few days left to live. This way, your life will last for hundreds of year to come! Come on, Annabelle. Trust me.” There was such sorrow in the last sentence he said to me, it was hard not to cry.
I put my feet over the side of the bed and stepped onto the familiar carpet. My feet found their way over to the window, somehow. I have no idea how they got there. My arm also took a mind of it’s own and chucked the garlic as far as I could. As soon as it did, I collapsed to the floor crying, one hand still clinging to the windowsill.
The next thing I knew, he was sitting there against the wall beside me with his arm around my waist. I leaned my head on his shoulder as I burst out into more tears. He twisted my long blonde hair in his fingers.
“It’s alright, Annabelle. It’s going to be fine,” he whispered in my ear. I nodded my head. I wasn’t quite sure I believed it, though. He sighed.
I’m not sure how long we sat there like that, but eventually, I stopped crying. I picked my head up off his shoulder and looked him in the eyes. And then, before I could stop myself, those fateful words were out of my mouth. I still wonder what would have happened if I hadn’t have said those two stupid words. “I’m ready.”


He told me to close my eyes and pretend I was in a happier place in a better time. I imagined us on that road ten years ago. We were seven , small, ignorant, and out way too late. We were laying in the middle of the street looking at the stars. I looked over at him. He was crying.
“What’s wrong?” I asked. He was supposed to be happy. This was supposed to be fun. He closed his eyes.
“I didn’t tell you before. I thought it would ruin your night.” I grew frustrated. “What is it?” He looked over at me, his green eyes big and shining. “I have cancer.” I blinked. It couldn’t be true. Not him. Never him. Not my best friend.
“What are you talking about? No. You’re lying. Stop it.” Now I was crying. He had to be lying right? He had to be.
“Annabelle. When have I been known to lie? I’m serious. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. I’m sorry.” I kept my eyes on him. “Can they fix it? They can fix it, right?” He looked up to the sky saying nothing. “Answer me! Please. They can fix it, right? Please. Answer me.” He closed his eyes and sighed.
“They caught it too late. There’s only one way. Only one way,” he trailed off. I sat up. “So let them do it! Let them fix you! You have to get better! You can’t leave me here! You can’t leave me in that house!” More tears from his direction. “I can’t do it, Annabelle. I can’t do this to you.”
“Do what? Can’t you see that it will only be worse for me if you don’t get help? Please. What can they do?” He sighed again and looked at me.
“Do you remember those books I gave you? All the ones about those vampires and stuff? You know how they live for a very long time? Well…” I blinked again. “What are you talking about? Those weren’t true? What are you talking about?” He sat up too.
“It is true. And that’s what they want to do to me. But, I don’t know.” It was impossible. Those were just stories, right? It couldn’t be real. But maybe…
“Do it. Do whatever you have to do. You can’t leave me. Let them. Let them turn you. Please. For me?” He looked down at his feet. “Okay. I will.” Relieved, I lay down again. He didn’t. I looked up at him.
“I have to go,” he said, distracted. I furrowed my eyebrows. “Good-night, Annabelle.” And then he was gone.